Cloone GAA Banner image
Home About Us Ladies Club Tables & Results News & Lotto Interactive History Photo Gallery
Latest News
Lotto Results
Play Our Lotto

Latest Cloone GAA News

IFC Round 1.


GORTLETTERAGH 0-9 Cloone 1-3 The scoreline here would suggest a close and hard fought GWP Intermediate Championship encounter but the reality was that Gortletteragh should have been out of sight if they had converted half their chances against Cloone in Pairc Sean MacDiarmada last Sunday. Gortletteragh went into the game as favourites and, for the first ten minutes, they lived up to that billing as they cut through at will and racked up four points. But after that, the rot set in as they wasted too many chances and ran into cul-de-sacs as a floundering Cloone fought to get back into the game. A penalty, against the run of play but rightly awarded, suddenly put Cloone within a point and set up the remainder of the contest. But despite two points in the next four minutes, Gortletteragh never put the game beyond doubt, leading to a few nervy moments in the closing minutes. Gortletteragh were the better team but couldn't make it tell on the scoreline, something that will worry them for the rest of the campaign while they may also have to plan without former All Star Seamus Quinn who was brought to hospital after suffering a serious neck injury in the first half. Gortletteragh were well served by Kevin McGrath, Patrick Kane, Padraig McGarry and Darren Duignan. Cloone won't be particularly pleased with their display – too often promising positions were wasted by poor passing and bad choices. They had a few stand out displays from Seamus Maguire, Brian Mulvey and Gavin Reynolds but they will feel that they never really performed at all last Sunday. Gortletteragh got off to a flying start – Darren Duignan scored a great point in the first minute. By the time he had his second nine minutes later, Cathal Quinn (free) and Cathal McCrann (fifty) had also got on the score sheet while Cloone keeper made a good save to deny Patrick Kane a goal. But then the wides started and Gortletteragh were rocked when, 18 minutes in, a high Donal Brennan pass found his brother Niall. He charged on through but was impeded and a penalty awarded, expertly dispatched low to the net by Seamus Maguire. That score undid all Gortletteragh's good work but they responded in the right fashion when Padraig McGarry finished a length of the field move with a point and Seamus Quinn fired over a bomb from the wing, after a Cloone attack broke down. The game was held up for some time after the injury to Seamus Quinn and on the restart, Cloone did better but had wides before Ronan Mulvey fired over a good point from 45 yards, to leave the halftime score at 0-6 to 1-1 in favour of Gortletteragh. Gortletteragh again started the second half best with two Patrick Kane points in the first ten minutes along with four wides. Dermot Kennedy traded points with Donal Brennan midway through the half. There were yellow cards for Kevin McGrath and Seamus McCaffrey before Donal Brennan hit a well taken point with five minutes to go but it was to be the last point of the game. The wides continued, as did the yellow cards with Mark Beirne, Gavin Mitchell, Cathal Quinn and Terry Kellegher being booked. There was also a red for Damien O'Donnell when he struck off the ball to bring Cloone's day to a sad end. Gortletteragh Conan Clarke, Kevin McGrath, Derek Kellegher, Charlie McDonnell, Eamon Reynolds, Terry Kellegher, Mark Mitchell, Padraig McGarry (0-1), Cathal Quinn (0-1), James Campbell, Cathal McCrann (0-1), Dermot Kennedy (0-1), Patrick Kane (0-2), Darren Duignan (0-2), Seamus Quinn (0-1). Subs: Niall Duffy for S. Quinn (31 mins), Gavin Mitchell for Campbell (51 mins), Michael Dorrigan for Kane (57 mins). Cloone Ciaran Casey, Brian Mulvey, Aidan Mulvey, Liam Reynolds, Seamus McCaffrey, Gavin Reynolds, Seamus Maguire (1-0), Alan Canning, Mark Beirne, Mark Creegan, Donal Brennan (0-2), Derek O'Donnell, Damien O'Donnell, Niall Brennan, Ronan Mulvey (0-1). Subs: Adrian Nicholl for Canning (47 mins). Referee: Tom Quigley.